Thursday, August 15, 2013

How can I know Christ better?

This is a question someone asked me privately. But it's a very good practical question for young girls, so I decided to share my answers here aswell.


Make some time to get to know God each day.

The story of Mary and Martha in the Bible is always a good reminder to me. Martha was busy serving Jesus, while Mary was sitting at his feet learning from Him. Too often I get so busy doing good things for God that I neglect to spend time with Him. And Jesus said we must abide in Him to be able to bring forth fruit.

When I was a single girl, I was able to have time first thing in the morning or in my room at night to read the Bible and pray. When I got married and then started having children, having a quiet time was not so easy! Nearly impossible---so many interruptions! I had to learn new ways and how to make the most of just a few minutes. So the way you do it is not so important.

I find it helpful to find a verse in the morning to think about during the day. Because it's very easy to read in the morning and then forget about it for the rest of the day (which is not much help)!


Learn to pray about everything.

In life, you get to know someone by talking to them and by them talking to you. In the Christian life, God speaks to us through the Bible and we can talk to Him through prayer.

Be careful (anxious) for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. Philippians 4:6

Nothing is too big or too little to share with God. When I see God answer my prayers, it makes Him more real and close to me. And it gives me a greater awe of Him.

Ask God to reveal Himself to you and teach you.

When reading the Bible, look out for what the passage or verse teaches you about God. 
 
So many Old Testament stories either show us what God's character is like or is a picture of Jesus and the Gospel. For example, the story of Noah and the Ark shows us that God is holy and must punish sin. It also shows us that God loves people, because he made a way of escape. The story is a picture of the gospel message—the ark represents Jesus Christ, and all who are 'in Christ' are safe from God's judgment for sin.



Ask for the Holy Spirit's help to teach you about God through what you are reading.

Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. John 16:13


Deal with sin straight away.

This is really important. We can't be close to God when there is something we are doing or have done that is wrong. We must confess it to Him as sin and ask His forgiveness.

If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 1 John 1:9

I can be close to God and an hour later it feels like He is so far away. Something has come in between us.


Remember that being a Christian is about knowing God and having a personal relationship with Him, not just doing the right things and looking the part.  

No comments:

Post a Comment